Udupi Brahmin Style Pathrado
- Tender Pathrade paan/Colocassia leaves ...14
To grind to a semi coarse paste
- Boiled Rice/Ukdo tandulu./Kusubalakki .11/2 cups
- Raw Rice ..1/2 cup
- Dry red chilles ... 14
- Coriander seeds ...4 tsp
- Cumin seeds ..1 tsp
- Methi Seeds/Fenugreek seeds ... 1/4 th tsp
- Grated coconut ... 1 or 11/2 cups
- Jaggery Marble size ... 2 or a bigger piece if preferring more sweet .
- Tamarind ... Gooseberry size
- Turmeric ..1/4 th tsp
- Salt to taste
Wash n soak boiled rice for about 4 to 5 hours .
Wash n soak raw rice for about 2 hours ...
In little oil roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds n fenugreek seeds separately ... Cool it .
Grind grated coconut, roasted coriander .cumin, methi seeds , dry red chilles ,tamarind, jaggery to a fine paste , then add both the soaked rice n grind coarsely .. The batter need to be thick so dont add much water while grinding . Remove the batter , add salt n mix well .
Remove fibre from the leaves n wash thoroughly .
Place a huge leaf on the wooden board with back surface up and stalk end towards you . smear ground masala all over ,place smaller leaf over it and repeat the procedure for 4 to 5 leaves ,and fold and roll them ,smear the fold with paste ,the shape of a cylinder .. n steam it for 20 mts .
cool n cut into slices of desired thickness .